Friday, August 10, 2012

Getting Started with Hand Loading

So my first kit is on the way, after about a week of research I settled on something so simple, I didn't think it existed. Hand Loading.

http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-38-spl.html

All you need is a rubber mallet and the supplies: powder and slugs.

The die set itself costs $26 from midwayusa, a box of 50 38S new runs about $21 here. Initial estimates put the reloading costs at about $10/50, probably cheaper if I use lead rounds. I also purchased associated hand tools for case prepping and a Lee manual. Overall, including shipping the cost to date is $78.

It's about as dirty as cleaning a gun, if not less and I can do it anywhere. Still being an apartment dweller space is a premium.

In the meanwhile I'll get lots of experience with something before I go spend a couple hundred bucks on a fancy press and associated gadgets. Even gathering brass will be easy as I can dump it straight from the gun into the brass bucket. Keep you posted, hope I don't burn my eyebrows off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment